Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I wonder

I have been following the news story about Sarah Palin and censorship. The internet story is that she had an entire list of books that she wanted removed from the town library where she was mayor. The truth seems to be that when she became mayor she did call the town librarian in and ask what was the process for removing books from the library and she did fire the woman. The librarian was re-instated and she continued working in the town library for two more years. She left and has said it was just to difficult working for Palin as the mayor.

This hits very close to home, I love to read. I will read just about anything, but the things I don't want to read I can determine for myself that I don't want to read them, I do not need a mayor, governor or vice president telling me what I can't read or removing items they find offensive or don't want me to read.

When I was young we had a town library. It was small and it was a place I loved to go. It was also a place where the librarian knew me and knew my mother and knew what kind of books my mother and father felt were appropriate for me to read. The books I was allowed to read changed as I grew older, but there was always my mother's guiding hand on my library card and to me that is how it should be. I don't want someone else's mother telling me or anyone else (unless it is their kid) what they can or cannot read.

While I have not heard that she actually had books removed from her small town library, I wonder how thin the line is between inquiring what the process is for removing books from the library and actually burning them.

No comments: