Sunday, November 8, 2009

Taking Chance

I think I blogged about this movie after I first saw it. It is a movie with Kevin Bacon as a Marine Lt. Col. taking Chance Phelps home after he has died in Iraq. A veteran at the local VHW hall tells the Lt. Col that he is Chance's witness, someone that will remember him.

I thought of that movie again today while reading the Sunday obits. Over 60 years ago WWII ended and in todays obits were at least six men that served in WWII. Most in the 80s one or two in their 90's. They came from all walks of life, served in all different branches of the military, survived to have to have families that loved them and will miss them now that they are gone.

Perhaps it is because this week we celebrate Veteran's Day, I have the day off and in the afternoon I am getting a new crown at my dentists. It made me think of all the people that did not make it home, not just from WWII, but any war. They also had families that missed them, but they have missed them for a very long time. Their parents are gone, their brothers and sisters might still be around, but for how long. Many of them too young to have children and if they had them, by now some of their children are elderly and won't be around to much longer.

It is up to us, you and me, to remember them to be their witness and maybe not just one day a year.


No comments: