Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Caught up

Have you ever read a book and become so caught up in the story? Well, it happens to me sometimes and I just finished a series of books that have reached out and transported me back in time.

My friend, Calendar Girl, has been at me for a couple of years to read a book called The Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Well, I finally gave in and bought it to read on the plane to Paris. That was the first week of February and last night I finished the last of the six book (so far) series.

Outlander is the story of and English woman, Claire and starts around 1948. She and her husband have been separated for six years by the war and go to Scotland for a second honeymoon and to get to know each other again. While Frank is chatting with someone, Claire goes back to a circle of stones that they saw the day before. She walks thru a break in a stone and is still in Scotland, but in 1742. The remainder of the 6000+ pages, with more to come, is the story of what happens to her and those she loves.

Is it a romance novel? Kind of. It is a love story, but so much more. I am drawn in and feel sad that I have to wait until next year to find out more. How does this happen? What is the difference in a book that draws you in (or at least me) like this and one that does not? Many stories are great stories, but what is it in a great story reaches out and touches one? What is it about some books that allow you to let go of your hold on reality and believe the story?

So read the books, but you can't borrow mine.

No comments: