Thursday, June 14, 2007

Flag Day

Today is flag day, why are there so many "days" in our life? Assistant's day, father's day, mother's day, who made them up? Anyway, back to flag day. June 14, 1777, the Continental Congress passed an act establishing an official flag for the new nation - I would think they might have had more important things to worry about right then, but what do I know?

I try and fly my flag every day, not because I am more patriotic than anyone else, but because every day I put it out there as a weird little ritual to keep my brother safe. I hang it up on the side of my house and while I straighten it out I whisper under my breath "stay safe". For those of you that don't know, my little brother David, is a Marine. David is handsome, has perfect teeth, abs that women swoon over, a beautiful wife and two crazy kids. I love him and I am proud of him and I say my little prayer every day. The Colonel has been in Iraq since March, not as long as some and yet far too long for us. He does share his views on this war with me, I will not share them here, except to say you might be surprised.

What I will share is this. When David was deployed the first thing I thought of was my mom. My mom sending another son off to war. My older brother Michael was in the Army and was in Vietnam. How many families have been in this same situation? Two sons, two wars, so many years apart. I remember dinner during the time Michael was in Vietnam, the television would be on and my parents would both be watching. The look of terror in their eyes, watching yet, not wanting to watch. Hoping to catch a glimpse of him somewhere. Waiting and waiting for a letter from him. Praying not to have some stranger in an Army uniform show up at our door.

Now we have e-mail and I hear from David a couple of times a week, it makes it a little easier. Now if I could only stop watching and reading the news.

No comments: