Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Smoke and Mirrors

I walked out my front door this morning into what looked like the start of a beautiful summer day. The sprinklers were on, there was a slight breeze and the sun was trying to break thru. Then I smelled it - smoke. While the fires that are burning throughout the state are nowhere near us, the smoke is reaching us on the wind. I started thinking that feeling safe is just an illusion. We are surrounded by hills, dry and crispy. We keep building on them and I guess hoping for the best. I look at homes up in the hills and think they are beautiful, but what would it take to just wipe them out. Fire moves fast and does not care if your home is a double wide or a multi million dollar castle, it burns you down if you are in the way.

Smoke and Mirrors

No comments: