Monday, June 2, 2008

Somethings

Somethings just scream out to be blogged about and this is one of them. Fred Baur designed the Pringles can and some of his cremated remains were put into one and buried along with the rest of him that was placed in a urn.

I have thought about what to do with my mortal remains after I am gone. I do want to be cremated and I do want somebody to take me to Paris and wander the streets while dribbling me as they go. Who this might be will depend on timing.

I remember a conversation with my friend Mark a hundred years ago. Mark was in the hospital dying and we were talking about ways to remember people after they die. I said I think that we should take a snow globe and put a picture of the persons favorite place in the world and a little bit of their ashes in there. You could pass them out at the memorial service to friends and family, they in turn could put them up on the mantel or wherever you put that stuff and every time you walked by you could shake it up and think about your loved one in their favorite place in the world. We both thought this was a great idea and laughed. Then Mark died and his memorial was at the Columbarium in San Francisco. I think some of the people walking in thought I was out of my mind when I stood looking at the building and laughed until tears ran down my face. If they could only read my mind looking at that building - it is shaped like a big snow globe - sometimes things just work.

1 comment:

Emmett and Riley said...

Brooke Clifton carried Bean's ashes down the aisle in a film canister at her wedding! Dropped her during her vows. The maid-of-honor picked Bean up and held her for the rest of the service. It was truly a moment.