Monday, September 6, 2010

The Obits

Sunday is obit day. I read them and wonder about the people, but if you have read this blog more than once, you already know that.

I have been busted more than once for using a person's full name when blogging about them. Relatives have called me on being insensitive because all they wrote in a man's blog was that he has something like 17 children, 125 grandchildren and 100 great grandchildren and that was all they could say. The man in question was about 94 years old and I don't think it was a surprise that he was eventually going to die and maybe one of those numerous off spring could have taken some time during the man's very long life and asked him what he would like people to remember about him.

I cannot imagine anything worse than losing your child and in Sunday's paper was the obit for a beautiful young girl, just past her 12th birthday. Yes, her 12th birthday and her family was able to share what people would remember about her. Miranda Bosley lost her battle with cancer last week and according to her family she loved art, dance and music.

Her obit reads that she waged a brave and unwavering battle against cancer. I have lost two of my oldest friends to cancer. Martha and Jolie were sisters and I just wish I could understand where their strength and faith and bravery came from when they were sick. They were both surrounded by people that loved them and maybe that helps you be brave? It seems Miss Miranda also had lots of family around her, surrounding her with love while fighting her battle and I am sure they all gave her comfort.

Her picture is fantastic, not many people can carry off looking fabulous in a hat and her smile is contagious. I know that her family will never forget her, but through their thoughtful words about her short life, I think I'll remember her for a little while and hope that she is dancing and making art wherever she is now.

No comments: