Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Child Brides

Too Young to Wed - The Secret World of Child Brides by the talented Cynthia Gorney is worth a read. It will break your heart and make you wish you could change things.

Cynthia is married to a man I work with and I started hearing about this story quite a while ago and was surprised when I opened National Geographic this month and there it finally was.
There was the late night wedding of a 5 year old Indian girl and I wondered if Cynthia thought about grabbing the little girl and running. A paragraph or so later I found out she did want to grab her and run. But the fact is grabbing that one girl changes nothing, you have to change everyone and everything around her.

I look at young girls I know, the beautiful 4 1/2 year old across the street, my 11 year old niece, my other niece that turns 13 in a few days and I am thankful they will never be subjected to this kind of horror.

I hope that Cynthia's article can help change the world.

You can help by making a donation at ICRW's website.


No comments: