Wednesday, February 20, 2008

580 Today

Today was ugly on the highway. There was an accident on the Bay Bridge and it seem to mess things up all over the place, then add to picture that it is raining and you have a lovely idea of what my commute was like this morning. One thing that did happen that was out of the ordinary was this big tanker truck in the lane next to me that put on its blinker to move in front of me. Now, I like to think of myself as a pretty courteous driver, so I let him in. I like to think it had nothing to do with the sign on the back of the truck in big letters that said: MOLTEN SULPHUR. I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty ugly to me. Then, of course, using my handy reference tool (the internet) I looked up SOUFRE FONDU (which is French for this will burn more than the skin off you the roof of your mouth) and then I wondered if I made a good choice by letting the truck in front of me:

General Description

A yellow to red liquid. Handled at elevated temperature (typically 290°F) to prevent solidification and makes transfers easier. Hot enough that plastic or rubber may melt or lose strength. Causes thermal burns to skin on contact. Cools rapidly and solidifies if released. Equipment designed to protect against ordinary chemical exposure is ineffective against the thermal hazard. Exercise caution walking on the surface of a spill to avoid breakthrough into pockets of molten sulfur below the crust. Do not attempt to remove sulfur impregnated clothing because of the danger of tearing flesh if a burn has resulted.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph - they let this stuff travel the highways?????

No comments: