Friday, February 1, 2008

Tattoo regrets?

I was watching Regis & Kelly this morning and Kelly talked about her tattoo. She said she regretted it because she felt like it was wearing the same sweater day after day. That got me thinking about my own tattoos. I have not regretted one of them, this train of thought led me to remember my very first. I was 18ish, had always wanted one and then I met another woman that had one, she agreed to go with me to get one. So off we went, Eleanor Gizzarelli, Kimberly (now a hasbien) and Mitch to woman with the tats. She had been in the army and seemed quite tough to me at that time. We went to Pawtucket, to a shop that I might not even walk into today. It was very old school, store front with big windows, walls lined with flash for tats. The tattooist was huge, long hair, grey beard, really big arms covered in beautiful butterfly's. So there is one guy in there getting a tattoo, he is really drunk and the white of his left eye was all bloody, left over from a fight I guess. His girlfriend was there and not in much better shape. He was getting a little red devil on his arm. So, the guy gets done with drunk guy and turns to me and says "so, little lady where do you want your flower?" I asked "how do you know I want a flower?" "You just look like the flower type."

OK, so I did want a flower. He asked where and I pointed to my hip. He says "OK, drop your pants". I swear at the moment 5 guys crowd into the shop, it had been empty for the last 45 minutes, but the minute I'm supposed to drop my pants it fills up. So my friend says, "do you think you could ask them to leave? She is a little shy." The guy looks at me and says "honey, you can't be too shy if your getting a tattoo, so drop your pants or get out." So I dropped my pants and he started. As he was working I was looking at his arms. They were covered in beautiful butterflys, colorful, different shapes and sizes. The one thing they all had in common? The bodies were penises. I just stared and wondered why. Kimberly kept coming in looking and going back out to the car to do a shot. Once I was done I had quite a few of those myself.

Soon after this night that shop was shut down by the board of health. I guess I'm lucky that my leg never fell off. But I have never regretted the tattoo or the night.

No comments: