Thursday, February 3, 2011

Rude People

I am reading a book called "I See Rude People" by Amy Alkon. She talks about the rudeness we all encounter every day. From the asshole that cuts you off on the highway to the person giving out personal information on their cell phone while having lunch next to you.

I know I for one am sick and tired of people being rude. I am at the point where I don't even want to go to the movies because people seem to think that they are sitting in their own living room and they can talk and do whatever they want.

Rudeness comes in all forms. I am reminded of a littering situation, I find littering very rude. Anyway, one morning, long ago I was riding BART to work. They guy sitting across from me decided to clean out his briefcase. Not a problem so far. Well the problem came when he finished up as he came to his stop and stuffed all the papers he did not want into the crack next to his seat and got up and left the car.

I sat there and thought "are you fucking kidding me?" So I got up and moved to where he was sitting and took all that paper. I went into work and taped things back together and figured out what his name was, where he worked, who his boss was, how much he made, how much other people in his department made, how much was being budgeted for salaries in the coming year.

I wrote a letter to his boss, explaining that I did not appreciate his employees using BART as his personal trash can. That leaving all that information for someone else to pick up was just stupid. I guess I was hoping for some kind of answer because I did sign my name.

The boss took it very seriously because he found me and called me. This was way before so much information was available on the internet about us all, so an impressive feat. He assured me that his employees did not consider BART their private trash can and you can be believe that this particular employee will never do something like this again. Is there any thing we can do to make this up to you. I said no, but thank you.

Then the guy calls me to apologize and could he take me to lunch?

Yeah, right. Like I just got you reamed a new asshole at work and I'm going to let you know where I work and who I am?

Needless to say that did not happen, but it all made me feel good.

Perhaps I am going to find that whatever it was that allowed me to do that and confront some rude people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember that incident, but I'd forgotten that he called you. Good for you and I am sure he is a better person for the lesson he learned that day.

BTW- it's nice to have you back. You were missed.