Friday, February 4, 2011

To Go or Not To Go

Imagine it if you can. Your wife is shot in the head and you are scheduled to fly the fucking space shuttle to the space station. What would you do?

I'd like to think that if I was the one in rehab recovering from a bullet to my head, I'd still want the person I love most in the world to fulfill their dreams. I would hope that even if I could not speak they would know that.

I'd like to think if I was the one scheduled to drive the shuttle I would be willing to give it up for the one with the bullet in their head and that the one in the bed would know that.

So, how do you make that decision. To go or not to go?

Will some people always look at Commander Kelly and think - there goes the guy that left his wife in rehab after she got shot in the head and went up in the space shuttle?

Will some people look at Representative Gifford and think oh poor thing, she was in rehab and her husband left her bedside to go fly the space shuttle?

Let's face it how often would this situation crop up in a normal every day life? How can anyone judge this decision? How can anyone know them better than they know each other? Why is there the need to justify this decision to the public?

I say fly safe Commander Kelly.

I say get better Representative Gifford.

I say everybody else butt out.




No comments: