Sunday, July 20, 2008

Glass, glass and more glass

I love glass. I do not hide it. I like looking at it. I like touching it. I like making things with it, I like blowing, fusing and slumping it. So yesterday, my beloved, the door dyke and her beloved went to the De Young in Golden Gate Park. I was thrilled from the moment I first saw the new building, we had not been since the museum re-opened. The building is great, if you go don't miss the tower. The view is fantastic!



Anyway, they are having show of work by Dale Chihuly. A big part of his glass life has been spent at RISD, in Providence, Rhode Island. Small world. I can remember going to RISD on a school trip and seeing the big furnaces that contained molten glass. As the old saying goes, if I knew then what I knew now...Oh well.



The show is small, that does not mean there are not lots of pieces, there are hundreds. All shapes, sizes and colors, all just amazing! I think my favorite were the cylinders. Trying to figure out how they are made was fun and finding out that I was pretty much right was even more fun.


No comments: